Friday, July 07, 2006

Sean Kirkpatrick Interview


Tonight, one of our favorite songwriters performs at the Cavern. No, it's not Todd from Crushed Stars. It's Sean Kirkpatrick, normally found manhandling the keys for the pAper chAse.

Every now and then, you'll find him out and about performing solo, and when you do you become immediately aware that you're hearing something remarkable. What we like about his songs and his songwriting is the thought put into the nuances not only between movements within the song but also between the chords and melodies played simultaneously. He appears to have a knack for pushing the envelope without losing the ear of the common audience. His songs are usually darker in mood and caustic by way of Tom Waits, but he never becomes overtly morose.

Sean Kirkpatrick first became noticed in the area while drumming for the Rolling Stones-influenced The Dead Flowers in Denton. After their breakup, he fronted Maxine's Radiator, then joined The Falcon Project and Spoon. His latest project before joining the pAper chAse was The Signals, a band that we feel should have their album properly released.

We believe it's his experience playing with such a variety of band styles that lends to his strengths as a songwriter and musician (he has to be one of the top rock keyboard players in the area).

So, as our inaugural interview, please welcome Sean Kirkpatrick.

1) What is your music background? More specifically, how did you get started playing piano? We know you also play drums. Are those the only two instruments you play? Was it a relative or a band that led you to want to play music? If so, who?

My mom made me start taking piano lessons when I was eight. I hated it. I wanted to be in Boy Scouts instead, but I had no choice. I played drums in high school, because I hadn't yet figured out how piano could be an exciting rock and roll instrument. I am definitely not a drummer now. Haven't touched drums in years. I've given up guitar as well. I have no interest in any other instruments besides the piano. There's just way too much to explore on this instrument. Why divert my time and attention?

2) Throughout the years, you've played in several bands with each having separate identifiable sounds. Is this a conscious effort? In other words, did you feel that you accomplished all you could with Maxine's Radiator before moving on to the Signals and then on to the pAper chAse? Or was it outside forces that led you to these many, different bands?

Also I played with the Falcon Project for a long time between Maxine's Radiator and the Signals. I played with Spoon for about a year too. But to answer your question, there are so many factors that determine a band's sound...the times, changes in taste, maturity, the people I was playing with. In most cases, yes I felt like I had done all I could in that setting. Sometimes frustrations with line-up changes and people quitting or being in too many other bands caused me to give up on it. As far as the paper chase goes, I never planned on joining the band. I just wanted to tour Europe and they needed a piano player. Then we started working on the material for God Bless Your Black Heart, and I was like yeah this is pretty good. Think I'll stick around.

3) What, in your opinion, constitutes a good song? Even if you like two radically different song styles, what is the one thing that they share in common?

It makes you feel something. Whether it's acoustic singer-songwriter music or free noise, it doesn't really matter to me as long as it gives me an experience.

4) What do you plan to accomplish with your solo work? Is it a hobby for downtime between band gigs, or do you plan on releasing your songs via CD under your own name? How do you separate your solo ideas into ones kept for your own material and ones contributed to the pAper chAse?

I haven't thought too far ahead to be honest. I just enjoy writing songs, performing and recording. I'm starting some studio recordings over the next couple of months. Basically I'll just see where that goes. Maybe a label will wanna put it out. Maybe I'll burn copies for my friends, like I did with the Signals album.

I never have to worry about keeping my ideas separate from the paper chase's. John has a very distinct vocal and songwriting style. I come up with piano parts to compliment that and work in the context of the rest of the music. And certainly, being in the band has shaped and altered the way I play and the sort of intervals I prefer. But as a solo performer, I can be very free. I can improvise a lot more within the framework of my songs and find different tones that resonate well with my voice and whatever I might be singing about.

5) What advice do you have for bands and artists just starting out in the local music business?

Just find other people whose music you enjoy and make friends with them. I felt so isolated and thought no one would ever be into the music I was doing until the Argo opened in Denton and I started meeting all these other people who were into the same stuff I was into.

Some Nighttime Activities
Crushed Stars / Sean Kirkpatrick / New Science Projects will all be at the Cavern. As mentioned above, we feel that Sean Kirkpatrick is one of the strongest songwriters in the area, and he definitely warrants a stopping by the Cavern tonight. It's only $6, and you can listen to him and make it to the next show, which is...

At the DoubleWide, Blackheart Society / Snake Trap / Gorch Fock bring their own ideas of what rock music is to the masses. It appears that Blackheart Society is the oddball out on this lineup, but that doesn't matter to us because even if we don't much care for the noisy instrumentals of Snake Trap or the shredding eardrums assalt of Gorch Fock, we know we can always go to the main bar and have $1 PBRs until Blackheart takes the stage. The Blackheart Society is a talented bunch of musicians whose influences appear to pull them in several directions without losing their collective characteristic (Ben Fleming's Neil Young voice).

Shangai 5 brings their avant garde/jazz/whatever it's called to Terrilli's tonight.

When was the last time you went to Muddy Waters? For us, it's been a couple of years. Tonight, though, you can check out Grant Wiscour and the Infidels, a country act in the vein of Waylon Jennings.

SouthFM / The Greater Good perform at the Darkside Lounge. Now, we don't really care for SouthFM, but the Greater Good is actually...well...good. Nice pop/rock melodies along with some spot-on harmonies. They remind us a lot of the Fountains of Wayne.

Get your art on at Gachet Coffee Lounge, which will hold an art opening for George Lacy from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Counter Culture in Deep Ellum will have an art show for Richard Ross, he of the peas fame, from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Both locations will provide free adult beverages, along with some delicious snacks.

8 Comments:

Blogger blixaboy said...

Sean was never a backseat in his six years in the Falcon Project. We started the band together and after he left I changed the name. Sometimes I think people want to really believe I am the only person in the bands I play in. Interesting how the interview guy conveniently skipped over the 6 and a half years he spent with me. I guess I know where I stand on this blog as well.

Anyways. Mad props to Sean. Easily one of the bigger influences on me in the past decade. He made me a huge Stone fan. I love this guy.

1:47 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

I meant Rolling Stones Fan.

1:48 PM  
Blogger nerver said...

kudos on giving an incredibly talented songwriter and musician credit where credit was long overdue.

[mwanza, even if the interview guy (or girl, mind you) didn't mention you in an interview about another musician, that doesn't necessarily mean they dismiss you! take if from an writer/editor (not of this blog, for the record), you never know what's cut out for space or any number of reasons.]

congrats again to sean for well-deserved praise. he's turned me on to some amazing music, not the least of which was his own.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Bobby Ewing Dreams said...

Mwanza, we wanted to cover Sean's solo work for the interview, as opposed to his work with other bands. It's not a slight against you or the Falcon Project.

2:08 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

that's cool. I am a little jumpy nowadays after months of getting slammed on these blogs. It has really affected my personal life in a negative way. Pardon my paranoia. Anyways.

Word up to Sean. he desrves any and all attention that he gets.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Eric Grubbs said...

I hear Sean's a good piano teacher too.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Eric Grubbs said...

Well, he can juggle work, piano teaching, solo performances and the pAper chAse pretty well. :-)

6:03 PM  
Blogger Eric Grubbs said...

My review of last night's show is up:

http://themeparkexperience.blogspot.com/2006/07/jesus-and-tequila.html

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home