Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Interview: Chad Stockslager


Today, The Drams drop their debut album. For the unfamiliar, The Drams is Brent Best's new project. After his former band Slobberbone disbanded, he and two other Slobberbone members (guitarist Jess Barr and drummer Tony Harper) pulled in Keith Killoren and Chad Stockslager from Budapest One to play bass and keyboards, respectively.

Stockslager's presence in The Drams is overtly noticeable in a pleasant way. His vocal strength and spot-on harmonies compliment Best's gravelling vocals, while his keyboard melodies mix effortlessly with Barr's lead guitar, all creating a balanced, warm pop sound between gritty and smooth.

Stockslager emerged most prominently on the scene with the Dallas band Sons of Sound a few years ago and quickly made a name for himself as not only a precise musician, but also one that can improv with practically anyone on stage.

His style is more ragtime and saloon; however, he can adapt to any style of song presented to him, ranging from soft ballads to gospel to intricate classical pieces.

As part of our ongoing piano player interviews, Stockslager gladly answered our standard questions, and we thank him for that.

What is your music background? More specifically, how did you get started playing piano? Was it a relative or a band that led you to want to play music? If so, who?
I grew up singing harmony with my father. He was an Everly Brothers fanatic and that sound really stuck with me. My childhood was scored with old barber shop quartet songs, hillbilly standards and gospel. My grandmother played the piano and taught me my first songs. She loved to hear me play and that was what kept me at it.

How did you come about joining the Drams? Was Crooked Teeth your first band? We know you also play guitar. How come you've always stuck with piano in bands?
My first band, which was called The Shadows, came together in middle school. I played saxophone. We played instrumentals mostly: "When the Saints Go Marching In," "Yakkity Sax" ... stuff like that. Many other shortlived bands followed: Mr. Pouncy, Fathead, The Pinwheels, Trout Invasion, Carl's Donkey, Johnny's Pockets. Crooked Teeth was something special though. We lasted about five years and really believed in what we were doing. Sons of Sound came out of that group, and we thought we were really big stuff at that point! But, The Drams is something entirely different. We all feel so strongly about these songs and this particular sound that who wrote it does not even matter. No ego. No bullshit. That's pretty amazing considering how incredible these musicians are. Keith and I joined up as Slobberbone were winding down. There were all these great tunes, and I think Brent felt we could add to them so he let us hang around! I play keyboards because I love what they add to the mix. There's a stigma to keyboard players in loud rock n' roll bands, but some of my all time heros filled that spot.

What, in your opinion, constitutes a good song? Even if you like two radically different song styles, what is the one thing that they share in common?
Regardless of what kind of music it is, if a song tells a story in a compelling way, I'm sold. I also love good hooks and sad lyrics. Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again Naturally" is a masterpiece. It gets me every time!

Rumors about town tell of some solo material floating around. Will your solo songs ever get properly released? Are you more comfortable being a part of a band, or would you one day like to go solo?
I have some stuff that I've been sitting on for some time. It's mostly all primitive home recordings, but some of them I think have some possibilities. There is a suprising warmth that comes out of just tracking with a microphone in a tiny room. Really, one day if I have the chance to go in and record them properly, then I would consider doing something with them. But by then I'll probably be tired of them. Who knows? I do love playing in a band, but doing a solo thing some day could be fun.

Who are three musicians (living or dead) that you would like to play with and why?
Ray Charles would have been great. He is one of my biggest heros. It was his timing and the way he pulled you into a song that always gives me chills. Tom Petty is one of the great living American songwriters and would be a thrill to play with. He really carries the torch for the whole Dylan/Byrds/Beatles school of music, and I adore him for that. Paul McCartney is such a constant inspiration that I would be remiss to not mention him. Timeless songcraft, effortless musicianship and a keen eye for the perfect hook make him the best there is. I know some people think he is cheesy, but I defend him to the death. Not that he really needs it.

What advice do you have for bands and artists just starting out in the local music business?
It's cliche to say this, but it really is true. If you believe what you are doing to be a true representation of yourself and your talent, then nothing else matters. Don't plan on making any money because that rarely happens. Do it because you can't NOT do it. Stick to your guns and enjoy the ride!


Bobby Ewing Recommended Nighttime Activities

The Drams play a record release show tonight at Tower Records in Dallas at 7:00 p.m. Cost is free.

Max Stalling will be playing some songs before the showing of the film The Range at the Granada Theater. Cost is $7.50, and doors open at 6:15 p.m.

Mwanza Dover will be hosting his weekly Lost Generation DJ set at the Cavern. We suggest you attend.

And in Fort Worth at the Metrognome Collective is the Kill Rock Stars tour with Southerly, Sarah Redddington, and Silas Worley.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobby Ewing Dreams said...

Thank you for reminding us. Wasn't Lauren Hoffman supposed to be on the bill, too?

12:54 PM  
Blogger Eric Grubbs said...

Chad rules. Nice interview.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home