Thursday, July 27, 2006

Movers & Shakers: Will Dowdy and Taylor van Amburgh


Music scenes are much more than the bands; they consist of writers, photographers, booking agents, venues, etc. With this in mind, we're starting a new series of interviews that will cover the movers and shakers of the North Texas music area.

Twenty years ago (hell, even 10 years ago), if you missed seeing a band play, you were pretty much out of luck until the next time they came through town. Sure, someone may have filmed the show, but distribution of the video was sparse. You had to know someone who knew someone who had the tape. It was easier to just find a bootleg audio recording of the gig and be on your way.

Today, however, the bootleg audio is giving way to the on-the-spot video. This is due, of course, to the proliferation of the Internet and the upload and download speeds of the series of its tubes (thank you Senator Ted Stevens for making it all clear).

With several Web sites (most notably YouTube and Google Video), bands are able to promote themselves in a variety of ways, from standard music videos to interviews to live shows. And while we know there are others in the area filming bands, two people have recently been pushing their way through crowds at the clubs, getting good shots and editing together the action that makes you feel like you were there or at least make you wish you were.

Will Dowdy and Taylor van Amburgh are two younger filmmakers that love music almost as much as they love moviemaking. You may have seen them out at places such as Arts Avenue filming the Strange Boys are at the Cavern or DoubleWide filming any number of bands. They may get in your way while filming, but they're contibuting to the scene, documenting what may be vital moments for future generations (e.g., wouldn't it be nice to have a video of Edie Brickell's first drunken performance with the New Bohemians? If anyone has this, please let us know.).

Personally, since we don't get to see every show, we're happy that someone is out there filming the bands. Sure, it's not the same as being there, but it's better than missing out entirely. We'd like to thank Will and Taylor for agreeing to be interviewed.

Will Dowdy and Taylor van Amburgh

What prompted you to start filming bands (local and national) when they come through the area?
Will: Taylor and I were drunk one night at the DoubleWide. I think it was the Strange Boys with the Black Angels and maybe the Undoing of David Wright. We had one of those drunken conversations where you come up with all these ideas and everyone is all "Fuck yeah, dude... lets do it!" Usually you wake up the next morning with a headache and no idea why you were so excited about those things you'll never do, but we actually started doing it. And I think we're both still really excited about the possibilities. I also just think that a lot of the bands around here deserve to be documented.

Taylor: Mainly because I have a lot of fun doing it. I would like for people to see the garage/punk side of the Dallas/Denton music scene that is often overlooked or shunned. Anything I can do to get people to notice Dallas doesn't totally suck is well worth it. Gimme Shelter is a huge influence of mine. Actually the real reason is I get too drunk at shows and don't remember the bands I see. Filming the show keeps me from throwing things at the band and generally acting like a retard.

What is your setup? What equipment do you use? Are you satisfied with what you're using now, or are you looking to upgrade? What editing software do you use?
Will: I use a Cannon. I'm satisfied with it because it does what I want it to (I can put stuff on YouTube and I can make DVDs) but I wouldn't have a problem with trying out the latest camera with its hi-tech, hi-def and surround sound recording capabilities. Taylor will answer the editing software part because I don't edit; I just show up and try not to spill beer on my camera. The stuff that I do myself is just to get things on YouTube before the shows become ancient history. My "editing software" is whatever came with the CD that came with my camera.

Taylor: I've borrowed a Sony Hi-8 Digital Handy cam from a friend for the last eight months. I use Adobe Premier editing software. I badly need an upgrade in camera and need to stop mooching off my friend, who needs his camera back for building his copious collection of sex tapes and industrial excavation films.

What kind of film background do you have? Do you have a music background, as well?
Will: I have little to no film background. I've been doing photography for a while, and photography and video are both film-based media, but I'm pretty much learning how to use a video camera as we speak. As far as music goes, I play a bunch of instruments (I kick ass at the tambourine) and I like playing with people, but I don't know if that's called a background. I've just always been more obsessed with music than anything else (sports, girls, cars, etc.).

Taylor: I went to film school at the University of Oklahoma, which was about as useful as 2005 hockey tickets. I began filming shows about five years ago. I currently work as an assistant editor for a company in Las Colinas. I can't play an instrument to save my life, but plan on starting a three-piece hardcore (two guitars and Peruvian girl drummer with a double kick) band called The Heartattackackackackackacks in no less than three years. Well put out 11 copies of a 7-inch on purple vinyl, play two shows in Garland and then break up. It'll be a scream.

Are you planning on doing more with these videos than placing them on YouTube? Any plans for your own Web site or production company?
Will: I don't remember if I even knew about YouTube when Taylor and I started talking about our "project." My idea at the beginning was simple: We should film these bands because they are good. I feel like now we're in a sort of "collecting" phase, just sort of going to shows with a camera and getting some footage. There are a lot of possibilities for what we can do with the footage we have. I think a Web site factors into our (lack of a) little scheme very nicely. Unfortunately we don't have the privilege of doing it all anonymously (hard to use a camera with a mask on), and we don't like being called mean names. Oh ... what's a production company?

Taylor: YouTube is fine for now, although I recently figured out that the people at YouTube have legal rights to everything put on that site. This doesn't seem like a threat though, because I couldn't picture YouTube making millions of dollars off my documented SXSW trip, the Country Teasers, etc. Hopefully Will and I will improve the quality of these videos, in which case a Web site would be smarter. When I start making the big bucks and the Strange Boys sign to Capitol Records, making the footage I have golden, we'll think about starting a production company.

What is the most difficult thing to overcome when filming a band live?
Will: SOUND!!! The Undoing [of David Wright] sounds so awesome live and every video we have just doesn't get the sound out right. It's unfortunate, but it's something we're slowly figuring out. It's also really difficult to overcome the urge to pee when the band's in the middle of their set, and you're on your fifth beer ... you just have to really want that footage (or use a tripod, like I do a lot of the time).

Taylor: Probably the fact that I'm the dork with the camera that doesn't get to fully enjoy the show. Seriously, getting the sound to record to my satisfaction is a problem sometimes.

Are you available for hire for videos? Or is this mainly a hobby at the moment?
Will: You mean "hire" as in "Will gets paid"? That seems somewhat humorous to me right now ... but for real though, if anyone would like to pay me and Taylor (preferably in booze) to film them, I'm sure we'd be willing to do so (I don't care if it's a band or a Gothic tea party). And it is a hobby, but it's one we're somewhat serious about (not serious enough to stay sober for it, but close).

Taylor: We are available for hire, but again, at this point our work is not yet professional quality, so I would feel bad charging anyone. If someone actually took notice, appreciated the work we do, and asked if we would film their band, I would be more than happy to do that.

How do you decide on which shows you want to film?
Will: I basically decide which shows I want to film in the same way that someone else figures out which bands he wants to go see or which bar he's going to frequent. I go check stuff out, and I make sure to bring my camera ... even if I'm not expecting much out of the band(s) I'm seeing, you never know, so I just try to have a camera near at all times.

Taylor: I film bands that I enjoy, mainly garage bands, but I am completely open to all kinds of music (except neo-Nazi anthemic death skronk and generic indie-pop).


For Will's videos, visit his YouTube site here. Taylor's YouTube site is here. You may also contact them there for your own video needs.

Bobby Ewing Recommended Nighttime Activities
(It's a Denton night.)

Mix Tapes & Baby Fights w/ Frank Hejl at Rubber Gloves. It's a half music, half comedy show from our understanding.

The Drams CD release party at Dan's Silverleaf.

Sean Kirkpatrick, Dirty Water Disease, Keating, and Cheyenne are all performing at J&J's Pizza. Show starts at 8 p.m., and it's free.

DJ G at Hailey's. 80s dance music. Good 80s dance music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home